Believe it or not, an examination of the mouth, head, and neck contain information relating to over 120 diseases. Advancements in dentistry as well as continued research in the link between oral and overall health, supports this finding, as the mouth is believed to hold important clues about what’s going on in the body. Yet, what does this mean? Can Dentists detect disease?
When it comes to medical check-ups and dental checkups, it’s no secret that many patients place a higher priority on scheduling medical appointments. In response, dental professionals have devoted ample time to patient education in an effort to encourage patients not to skip or forego their dental examinations. This is because many medical problems manifest in and around the mouth.
Take a look at the following oral health concerns that are related to medical issues:
- Fiery, red tongue (linked to Anemia and Diabetes)
- Inflammation (linked to Anemia, Diabetes, Anorexia, Heart Disease, Liver Disease)
- Dry Mouth (linked to Diabetes, Kidney or Renal Failure)
- Mouth Sores (linked to immune deficiencies and Cancer)
- Tooth Erosion (linked to Anorexia, Bulimia, Diabetes)
- Tooth Sensitivity (linked to Anorexia and Bulimia)
- Mouth Ulcers (linked to Kidney Failure, Cancer)
- Jaw Pain (linked to Heart Disease)
Do you experience any of the above-mentioned oral concerns? With a growing awareness of these connections, it is too risky to skip dental appointments.
We’ll Help You Make Informed Decisions About Your Health
Smile Avenue Family Dentistry welcomes you and your family to our practice, where we hope to be your trusted dentist in Cypress. When it comes to connecting oral and overall health, we’ll help you gather all of the information you need to make informed decisions about your health. If it’s been some time since you’ve visited the dentist, or you have a family history of Diabetes, Heart Disease, or Cancer, please do not wait. Visit Smile Avenue Family Dentistry
Posted on behalf of Smile Avenue Family Dentistry